Sunday, December 6, 2015

PVC Pipe Puppet Theater




This post is specifically for a class this semester. 
Enjoy some poor lighted pictures of my creation! 



Who knew PVC pipe was so AWESOME? When I first started this project I thought, "How in the heck am I going to do this?" Luckily my husband was kind enough to help me out a bit.. especially with cutting the pipe. 

So the skeleton is obviously made out of PVC pipe, fabric from wal mart, and Mr. Owl I got from D.I. (Whhaaaa!!). It was fun to make and a lot easier than I thought it would be, although it was time consuming. 

So here's your shopping list in case you'd like your very own puppet theater.. 
  • Four 10 foot 3/4 inch pvc pipes cut to the following lengths:
    • 46 inches x 2
    • 36 inches x 4
    •  23 inches x 2
    • 19 inches x 2
    • 12 inches x 4
    • 6 inches x 4
    • 1.5 inches x 2  (You can’t see these in the photo, but they are between the two tee joints on the bottom.)
  • 8 tee joints
  • 4 side out elbow joints
  • 4 end caps
  • PVC pipe cutter
From there you build yourself the skeleton of your puppet theater. To see an AWESOME blog post about puppet theaters click HERE. My list of materials came from her site and it is, like I said, awesome. 

Next you'll need to dress those ugly pipes up with some fancy curtains. I went to Wal Mart and got Four yards of fabric all together (two- Maroon, two- Polka dots). You'll need to do a rolled hem on all raw edges. Once that's been done you can start making your curtains. I wont go in much detail just because it's hard to explain a how-to without detailed pictures (next time I guess). 

I didn't have time for this but in the future I want to make flannel backings (one light blue and one dark blue to represent day and night). Along with that I want to make felt props such as trees, castles, houses, or anything that would go along with a story. Putting velcro on the back will make it stick to the backing and would make it even more fun for students to act out their stories. 

And there you have it! I love puppet theaters and I think this turned out especially cute. 




1 comment:

  1. What an awesome idea! I totally need to make this!

    ReplyDelete