Friday, November 8, 2013

No Heat November



Alright, this is pretty much a post for myself than anything else. The truth is.. I want long hair. I want this main down to my hips. Not only long hair down to my hips but healthy, hair down to my hips. Shiny, healthy, long, and beautiful. Is that too much to ask for? I know it's my fault though that my want need has not been met. Since middle school I have abused my head with blow dryers, straighteners, and curling irons. I remember nights when I would be bored and I would wash and curly my hair.. just for fun. What was I thinking? I'm a bit better these days but I'm not as good to my hair as I should be. A few months ago I decided I would make a change. A few changes actually. These changes did not happen over night though. It's taken a while and I'm still working on good healthy hair habits. Anyways here are a few things I've been doing lately.

First things first. Washing of the locks. A while back I couldn't go a day without washing my hair. My second day hair was a big ball of grease. I have gradually taught my hair to not get so oily by going longer and longer without washing my hair. Now I can go about four or five days without washing it. Now when I actually do wash it I make sure my shampoo is absolutely sulfate free. Hairdressers have actually debated with me on if this is actually a myth or not. I don't trust most hairdressers anyways so I'll definitely go with my own belief. Sulfate free shampoo is the only way to go.

Products I have been using to maintain my hair include Moroccan Oil, It's a 10 leave in conditioner, and Tresemme leave in heat protectant. These three lovelies save my ends. I have also learned that not only is the product I put on my hair important but what I intake is equally important. I can tell a difference in my hair when I eat healthy meals than if I consume an entire package of ELFudges. Vitamins are important as well. I take fish oil in a pill form every single day.

Last thing. And this is actually my goal for this month. I'm gonna call it (for my own enjoyment) "No heat November." I am chucking that moisture sucking blow dryer and straightener (into the bottom drawer, that is) and letting my natural locks be. I know that I will most likely cheat and pull that curling iron out on some days.. like Sunday. I really cannot have my bishop think I'm just another mangy hipster. But I will do my very best and I know I will see improvement in my hair growth. Can't wait!

Above are some pics from just this past week with my no heat hairs. Braids will be my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment