Thursday, August 21, 2014

Speak & Listen.


I've had a lot of time to think (some deep stuff) these past couple of days. I work as a ground keeper on campus and am busy with my hands picking weeds so that leaves my brain to wonder almost uncontrollably sometimes.

I've been thinking about conversation.

I've thought a lot about my own experiences. I feel as if I am a shy quiet girl most of the time. I usually keep to myself when it comes to conversations. BUT this doesn't mean I'm a boring person. It doesn't mean I have nothing to say. I need to warm up to you before I share my entire life story.

I was caught in this same situation, every single day, where I would hear the same people blab on about how many dogs they have ever owned, or how many times they have surfed on the ocean, or "I suffer from a very strange and unique disease that no one else in this world has or will ever have" (sarcasm if you didn't catch it). I'm sick of it. I'm sick of hearing about everything there is to know about someones gosh dang cat! Can't we get back to the basics and just get to know each other? Don't you want to know a little about me, or does it all have to be about you all the time?

And I guess that's why I'm usually silent at the party. I've gotten into this habit of thinking that no one actually cares. This whole situation degrades the soul, it dampens the entire atmosphere and it leaves a stench in the air.

I'm going to work on my conversing. I want for others to know that I care for them, I'm concerned for them, and I want to KNOW them! All of this while speaking (up!) in a way which is not belittling or boastful. It's a two sided thing going on here.

"Speak in such a way that others love to listen to you. Listen in such a way that others love to speak to you."

Does this make sense?


(and just a side note. I started a new job and have worked there for probably no more than seven days. My current coworkers know more about me now than my previous coworkers  knew about me in the 12 months I was with them. It's because they ask. then stop and listen.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment